Monday, November 5, 2012

The General Theory of Yogic Relativity



A new Hot Bikram Yoga studio has opened near to where I live. Yesterday I thought what the hell I'll go check a class out. The teacher was very good and I learnt some new things. at the end of the class she told me I was a very difficult person to teach because clearly I have developed my "own way" of doing things. She said she appreciated that I was a "good listener" and was willing to quickly adapt to her instructions. I did not tell her I was a teacher but I did say I am an improv Yogi and have been doing my own practice for many years. My view is when in Rome do as the Romans do but doing a class like this where there is only one right way of doing things (and therefore an infinite number of wrong ways) only continues to confirm that such a path can never do more than intersect with my own. Honestly I don't think it is wrong to deal in absolutes because some people need this sort of clarity in their lives. I've seen such a process create very beautiful people so I know it can't be wrong.

Many years ago I did a class in L.A. with a teacher called Saul David Raye. He said something near the beginning of the class that I decided to make a part of my own classes. He said "please understand that everything I say is a suggestion and an idea. It is never an instruction or a command". Maybe because I was surrounded by other Yogi's who felt like me, this class was a unique experience and perhaps one of the most special classes I have ever attended.

I am at a place now where I feel there is room to co-exist with systems and ideas that apparently conflict with my own basic truths. This is why I call myself a Libertarian. It seems, two (or more) different answers can both be right, it all depends on the relative state of the listener. I think this is a good place to be because it opens you up to learning beyond the line of sight of your own gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment